Hurricane Property Damage
Between 1851 and 2015, Florida endured 114 hurricanes, including 37 major hurricanes. These powerful storms rip roofs off of homes, send massive waves onto the coastline, and hurl blunt objects through the air with enough force to penetrate a telephone pole. Hurricane property damage is the price we pay for countless days of sunny, summery weather.
At Williams Law, P.A., our Tampa hurricane damage lawyers understand the difficulties of securing fair insurance coverage after a serious tropical storm or hurricane. Insurance companies constantly search for reasons to deny, delay, and lower their claims payouts. In the meantime, homeowners must move in with family members or stay in a hotel as they try to rebuild their lives. If you’re struggling to receive fair coverage for hurricane property damage, we will use every resource we have to protect your interests. You paid the premiums – you deserve a fair payout.
Insurance Coverage and Hurricane Damage in Florida
Homeowner’s insurance coverage varies widely. Most policies cover general storm damage from wind, hail, and lightning. Flood insurance is usually separate. Depending on the insurer, a standard policy may also exclude hurricane-related wind damage or offer coverage for a separate and more expensive deductible.
If you live in an area prone to hurricane damage (i.e., anywhere around St. Petersburg), we encourage you to look carefully at your insurance coverage to determine what is and is not covered. Insurance policies do not always offer straightforward terms, especially regarding the nuances of storm damage.
Hurricane Damage Loss Recovery in St. Petersburg
The majority of our work focuses on loss recovery after a hurricane. When insurers fail to honor the terms of a homeowner’s, hurricane, or flood policy, we’re here to ensure you receive full compensation. Come to us before or during the claims process to receive personalized support during your claim.
As your hurricane damage representatives, our office will:
- Independently investigate the extent of storm damage to confirm a fair insurance investigation.
- Negotiate with insurers on your behalf to eliminate misunderstandings and encourage fair insurance adjustment practices.
- Resolve policy disputes including bad faith claims arising from the hurricane damage claims process.
After a devastating hurricane, you may rely on your insurance company to provide compensation for your cost of living during cleanup efforts, professional water remediation and cleanup work, building materials, and repairs. At every step of the process, your insurer can complicate the situation with delays and coverage denials. Protect yourself from potential insurance issues and disputes with a legal representative you can trust.
Steps to Take After a Hurricane
After a hurricane, property owners can take steps to protect their rights to insurance policy benefits:
- Document the damage. Take pictures and video of your property immediately after the storm. Captures as many details as possible to reference during the claims process.
- Talk with an attorney. Contact a Tampa insurance claim attorney to discuss your situation and best practices for initiating a hurricane damage claim. With an attorney’s support, you will know exactly how to approach the claim to encourage full and expedient recovery.
- Record everything. Keep records of receipts, email exchanges with your insurer, repair contracts, and other details of the recovery process. Evidence of your expenditures actions after the storm can support your claim and reduce the likelihood of a denial or delay notice.
- Pay close attention to the policy. Insurers will look for any reason to lower their total payment liability. Follow all the terms of the contract and maintain premium payment records to prove you deserve fair compensation.
Partner with Williams Law, P.A. for Hurricane Property Damage Claims
K.C. Williams specializes in insurance disputes in the St. Petersburg area. Since 1995, our firm has represented countless property owners in hurricane-related matters. We understand the tricks insurers use to grow their bottom lines and how to protect our clients from unscrupulous insurance practices. If you aren’t sure about your current hurricane coverage or you need help resolving a claim in the wake of a serious south Florida storm, call our homeowner insurance lawyer in Tampa at (800) 451-6786. Initial consultations are always free. Contact us today.