Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
Tampa Bay Personal Injury Law Firm
Insurance companies have experienced attorneys representing their legal interests. You should too! At Williams Law, P.A., in Tampa, Florida, we have more than 20 years of experience dealing with insurance companies and corporate entities on behalf of people who have suffered serious personal injuries. We have resolved hundreds of insurance claims by helping clients stand up for their rights after being injured through the negligence of others.
What Can I Recover In My Personal Injury Case?
If you’ve been injured because of someone else’s negligence – whether it be from a car accident, negligent doctor, or some other accident – you could be entitled to compensation. Most people don’t know that compensation can be for things other than medical and hospital bills. In Florida, personal injury victims can receive compensation for events including:
- Past and future medical bills
- Property damage and diminution of value
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and future lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Loss of companionship
If you were injured in Hillsborough county, a Tampa personal injury lawyer can assist you with getting the compensation you need and deserve to make a full and lasting recovery.
Over $100 Million Recovered for Our Injury Clients in Florida
Although our main office is in Tampa, the injury attorneys at Williams Law, P.A. represent clients throughout the State of Florida and are dedicated to assisting injury victims to maximize their compensation from insurance companies.
For over 20 years, Williams Law, P.A. has handled a variety of serious and fatal personal injury lawsuits, and has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. Our lead attorney, K.C. Williams III, Esquire, is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Florida Bar, and has been consistently elected a Super Lawyer by his peers.
Personal Injury Laws in Florida
Your injuries are personal to you, but they are legal matters in the eyes of the Florida civil court system. This can work to your advantage after an accident. The courts say you have the right to pursue financial recovery after sustaining personal injuries if someone else’s negligence or intent to harm caused them. To give your case its best chance of succeeding, you must obey the various state laws regarding personal injury claims. Some of the most important laws are as follows:
- Deadline for filing. The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in Florida is four years from the date of your accident, or four years from the date that you discover your accident-related injuries. For example, if you become ill 10 years after exposure to asbestos in the workplace, you have four years from the date you discover the illness.
- Elements for filing. To have grounds to bring a claim, you must have four main elements: 1) The defendant owed you a duty of care. 2) The defendant breached this duty. 3) The breach of duty caused your accident. 4) You suffered real damages in the accident. Talk to our attorneys for more details about what it takes to bring a claim.
- Comparative negligence. Florida abides by a pure comparative negligence rule. This rule states that a plaintiff can still be eligible for damages even if he or she contributed to his or her injuries. The courts will reduce the amount of compensation by the plaintiff’s percentage of fault. Even if you partially caused your accident, you may still be eligible for financial recovery.
- No-fault car insurance. Florida is a no-fault insurance state. This means that after a Tampa car accident, each victim must seek recovery through his or her own insurance company regardless of fault for the crash. Your insurance company will provide recovery after most accidents. Under these laws, you can only file a personal injury claim after a wreck if you suffered “serious injuries,” including permanent injuries, scarring, disfigurement, or loss of bodily function.
- Dog bite laws. Did someone else’s dog in Tampa Bay attack you? The state’s strict liability laws mean you may be able to hold the owner of the dog liable for your damages regardless of the animal’s prior history of aggression. If you were lawfully on the owner’s property and did not instigate the attack, you are likely eligible for recovery from the dog’s owner.
- Damage caps. The State of Florida imposes caps, or limits, on the amount of compensation an injured party may receive in certain types of cases. For personal injury cases, plaintiffs may only receive punitive damages up to three times the amount of compensatory damages, or $500,000 (whichever is greater).
A conversation with one of the injury attorneys at Williams Law, P.A., can help you understand Florida’s personal injury laws and use them to your advantage. Each case is unique. Retaining an attorney will give you a one-on-one consultation with a lawyer experienced in personal injury claims in Tampa Bay. You’ll receive personalized legal counsel and an in-depth look at the specific laws pertaining to your claim.
Facts About Personal Injury Accidents in Tampa Bay
At Williams Law, P.A. our personal injury lawyers have helped hundreds of Tampa Bay residents fight for fair compensation after personal injury accidents. Our Tampa injury attorneys take each and every case very seriously, working closely with accident victims to help them achieve their unique goals for the claim. We use our knowledge of personal injury cases to maximize the outcome of the claims we file on behalf of our clients. Learning about PI accidents in Tampa can help you understand where you stand as a recent victim. Here are a few intriguing statistics:
- Car accidents. Drivers in Tampa Bay are often guilty of negligence, recklessness, and carelessness behind the wheel. In 2016, Hillsborough County recorded 4,843 driving under the influence (DUI) violations, as well as 264 reckless driving, 1,524 hit-and-run, 32,040 speeding, 11,099 careless driving, and thousands of other moving and criminal violations.
- Slips, trips, and falls. The most recent data and statistics on unintentional falls in Florida show that this is the leading cause of death among residents ages 65 and older. In 2012, 2,475 Floridians suffered fatal falls. An additional 62,541 went to the hospital for non-fatal fall injuries. Falls can result in hip fractures, wrist injuries, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Workplace accidents. In 2015, 272 Florida workers died on the job. The most common fatal accidents involved transportation crashes (127 deaths), falls (52 deaths), violence/injuries by people or animals (39 deaths), contact with objects or equipment (28 deaths), and exposure to harmful substances or environments (21 deaths).
- Accidental drowning. In Florida, drowning is the leading cause of injury-related death in children ages one to four. Accidental drowning can occur due to unsafe premises (e.g., swimming pools without proper fencing) or lack of proper adult supervision. The majority of victims under the age of five drown in residential swimming pools.
- Burn injuries. Burn accidents represent the second most pervasive cause of accidental death in the U.S., trailing only vehicle crashes. Annual estimations show that burn injuries account for around 40,000 hospitalizations, and 30,000 burn treatment center visits. Among such patients, 20,000 encounter burns that cover 25% of their skin surface. An estimated 2.4 million burn injuries are recorded every year. Burn victims often perish due to their injuries, as up to 12,000 individuals die each year from burns and resulting complications. An estimated one million individuals will endure significant or permanently debilitating injuries as result of burn injuries. Approximately 800 individuals die every year as a result of cigarette fires. Chemical burns are most likely to occur in the workplace.
Overall, unintentional injuries are the third-leading cause of death in Hillsborough County, Florida, behind heart disease and cancer. In 2015, unintentional injuries took the lives of 641 Hillsborough County residents. Leading causes of accident-related deaths in the county are motor vehicle crashes, falls, and unintentional poisoning. If you or a loved one has become an accident injury statistic, you need an attorney to stand by your side during litigation.
Reasons to Hire a Tampa Personal Injury Attorney at Williams Law, P.A.
Williams Law, P.A. dedicates time and resources to helping personal injury accident victims in Tampa and the surrounding areas. Retaining one of our attorneys can make a substantial difference in your future. With an attorney, you won’t find yourself struggling to get a fair settlement from your insurance company or facing hefty medical bills without a way to pay them. Our attorneys can stand up for your rights, seek justice for the negligence of others, and recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
No Money Due Up Front
When you call Williams Law, P.A. we will help you set up a free consultation with an attorney. Your attorney will help you assess the merits of your case and give you an honest appraisal of whether you may be entitled to compensation and how much compensation your claim may be worth. You are under no obligation from that consultation and do not owe the attorney anything for the review.
Should you put our firm to work for you, you still owe no money up front. The pursuit of justice for your injuries should not add to the financial strain you may already be experiencing due to your accident. In fact, you will never owe your attorney anything unless we are able to recover a settlement or get a judgment in your favor.
At that time, you will owe your attorney a percentage of the compensation you receive. That percentage is the amount you and the attorney agree on before your case begins. Our firm will always be transparent with you about the fee involved so that you have the peace of mind of knowing exactly how much you are entitled to receive.
Taking the Time to Treat You and Your Case Right
At Williams Law, P.A., you will never be encouraged to accept a quick settlement that may not fully compensate your injuries. Where other law firms seem content to accept a low settlement offer that requires little work and move on to the next case, our attorneys believe you deserve all the compensation you are entitled to.
Our attorneys prepare from day one to take your case all the way to trial if that is what is required to get you fair compensation. Our law firm has gained a reputation with insurance companies that we will not allow our clients to be taken advantage of.
You benefit from our determination to seek fair compensation in a number of ways. First, our clients receive more compensation due to our dogged determination in negotiations with insurance companies and corporate attorneys. We refuse to compromise with a settlement that does not adequately address the injuries you have sustained.
Second, you benefit from our trial experience. Because we are prepared to take every case to trial, we have more courtroom experience than many personal injury attorneys. You can rest assured your attorney will know how to try your case should it be necessary to take your case to trial. Because our attorneys prepare from the beginning to go to trial, we are better prepared when we step into the courtroom.
We know that for you, this case is the most important case there is. We seek to treat each client that walks through our doors with the respect and consideration they deserve.
Our Team is There When You Need Us
Our personal injury attorneys limit the number of cases they take. More clients might mean more money in the short term but accepting fewer clients allows us to devote the personal attention needed to aggressively pursue compensation.
As a result, with Williams Law, P.A., you will never be left in the dark as to what is going on with your case. Our attorneys and staff take the time to ensure that you stay informed every step of the way. When you have a question about your case, we are available to take your call and answer your questions. Our attorneys will fully explain the process to you and ensure your questions are always answered to your satisfaction. With our attorneys you will always be part of the team, never just another client.
After you suffer any type of personal injury, contact our firm. We offer free, no-obligation consultations with the purpose of getting to the bottom of what may have caused your accident, and whether or not you have grounds for a civil claim. You can learn your rights and potential options moving forward after a conversation with one of our attorneys. Speak with a lawyer who cares about your recovery. Call (800) 451-6786 to get in touch with our Tampa Bay team of attorneys.