Senate Bill 408 And Sinkholes In Florida
In May 2011, Senate Bill 408 (or “SB 408”), sponsored by Florida State Senator Garrett Richter, was signed into law by Governor Rick Scott. This law has been touted by the insurance companies as an effort to strengthen the insurance industry and reduce fraud, but it appears likely to have a chilling effect on many valid sinkhole claims.
Florida Senate Bill 408 can be viewed as a wholesale overhaul of state insurance laws and requirements pertaining to sinkhole claims. Only time and the real, practical consequences of individual aspects of the law will reveal its total impact. Led by accomplished property insurance claims lawyer K.C. Williams, we remain committed to seeking all available compensation for homeowners victimized by sinkhole damage and other covered events.
What Rights Do You Have Under New Sinkhole Insurance Laws?
We will thoroughly review your potential residential or commercial property claim in light of our firm’s extensive experience and new SB 408 stipulations and restrictions addressing matters such as:
- A new definition of “Structural Damage,” which greatly restricts the type of damage covered by sinkhole insurance
- The mandate that all opinions and findings of the insurance company’s experts are now BY LAW “deemed correct” and above reproach
- The ability of insurance companies to now deny claims without performing any geo-technical testing or other exploration into the existence or nonexistence of sinkhole activity on the property
- The severe limitation on the rights of homeowners to have any sort of say in the manner by which the insurance company elects to repair the home
- New regulations that have the effect of prohibiting homeowners from hiring public adjusters to assist them with their claims
- The mandate that homeowners be required to pay upfront for a portion of the cost of testing their property for sinkhole activity
- Various changes in rules governing policy renewals, contract claims and the use of sinkhole claim payments
Our clear focus at Williams Law Association, P.A., is on leveling the playing field and obtaining justice for policyholders who are treated unfairly by profit-focused insurance companies. More than ever in this new legislative climate, your choice of a lawyer to fight for your rights involving a sinkhole or other property damage claim may be critical.
Consult A Skilled Insurance Lawyer With Offices In Tampa, Brandon And New Port Richey
We welcome many referrals from other lawyers as well as direct inquiries from homeowners in need of quality representation to pursue their claims. To discuss your specific concerns and legal options with a dedicated attorney who understands SB 408 and has built a track record of success in litigation, call our firm anytime at (800) 451-6786 for a
free, confidential consultation and case evaluation.