Tampa college students return home to heavy fire damage
Posted in General on March 10, 2017
A University of South Florida student said she first learned of the fire when she got a frantic text from a friend. “She thought it was like, my building burning down,” the student recalled for a local TV station.
As it turned out, the student’s building was indeed burning down. A three-alarm fire at Province Apartments left many students without homes or belongings; all lost in the blaze.
“It was going for so long, the flames were, like, up and everybody was outside crying,” the student recalled of watching the inferno. She said that afterwards there was “a lot of water damage and you can see some apartments are completely destroyed.”
Some people were able to retrieve a few belongings from apartments, while others were unable to salvage anything from the ruins. Gone up in flames and smoke and torrents of water were clothes, TVs, laptops, books, jewelry and more.
“A lot of people weren’t able to get anything,” the student said.
According to a Fox 13 report, the fire was started by a cigarette.
Approximately four dozen students were left without a place to live afterwards. The good news is that no students were hurt in the fiery incident, though one Tampa firefighter did suffer minor injuries.
We are all grateful that nothing worse happened in the fire.
For many, the next step will be to file insurance claims and for many after that, it will be to dispute offers from insurers. To protect your interests in a fire damage claim, speak with a Tampa attorney experienced in insurance claim disputes.