When Accidents Happen: How a Personal Injury Lawyer in Tampa Can Help You Seek Justice
When accidents happen, seeking justice and compensation can be complex and challenging. However, with the help of a personal injury lawyer in Tampa, you can navigate the legal system and fight for your rights. From gathering evidence to negotiating with insurance companies and representing you in court, a personal injury lawyer will be your advocate every step of the way. Don't let an accident derail your life.
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Florida
If you have been injured due to the negligent, reckless, or careless actions of another, you may be entitled to obtain substantial compensation for any damages suffered. To get the maximum compensation the law allows in Florida, you might need to file a personal injury claim with an insurance company and sue the responsible party. Getting total compensation from filing a claim alone is not always possible. The following are things you should know before pursuing your legal options.
Florida Statute of Limitations
There are two statutes of limitations that you should be familiar with in personal injury cases. Florida law gives you four years to act if you file a lawsuit due to injuries you suffered.
Florida Personal Injury Laws
Before hiring a personal injury lawyer to represent you in Florida, you should understand how the following aspects of the law affect your case:
- Damage Caps: Florida law places no limits on compensatory, non-economic, or punitive damages when the defendant intends to harm the plaintiff. However, it does limit punitive damages to $2 million if the defendant had a financial motive and $500,000 or three times the amount of compensatory damages (whichever is greater) in other cases.
- Modified Comparative Negligence: A jury can only award you money if it determines that you were no more than 50% responsible for the injury you suffered. And any award for losses will be prorated equal to the percentage you are responsible for.
Will I Receive a Higher Settlement With a Florida Personal Injury Lawyer?
Three major studies and a report show a clear correlation between retaining a lawyer for a personal injury accident and getting a larger settlement. The Insurance Research Council (IRC) published a study in 1999 with results that still hold true over 20 years later. The study, “Paying for Auto Injuries: A Consumer Panel Survey of Auto Accident Victims," has been updated since it was first published, but what the study found then still holds today. Accident victims who hired attorneys to help them with a claim received 40% more in the insurance settlement than those who didn’t retain a lawyer.
A separate report published by the IRC, “Auto Injuries: Claiming Behavior and Its Impact on Insurance Costs,” looked at how a lawyer's representation relates to compensation for an insurance settlement. The IRC noted that 85% of all money paid out in insurance settlements for bodily injury claims is paid to people whom lawyers represent.
In 2014, the IRC conducted a study titled “Auto Injury Insurance Claims: Countrywide Patterns in Treatment, Cost and Compensation.” The study collected data from over 35,000 personal injury claims from 12 private car insurance providers. The 12 insurers represented 52% of the private car insurance market in the U.S. They found that attorney involvement affected the amount paid by the insurance companies for the medical expenses of claimants.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
When you are seriously injured in a car, truck, or motorcycle crash that was determined to be the fault of another driver, you can file a claim with their insurance company for compensation. Drivers in Florida must carry liability insurance for just such a purpose, but they often do not have enough insurance to cover their losses fully. This is where a personal injury attorney can fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Slip and Falls
Wet floors, torn rugs, unsecured electrical cords, broken handrails, uneven steps, and other maintenance issues can cause visitors to stores, restaurants, movie theaters, and amusement parks to fall and suffer severe injuries. While it might be embarrassing to fall in a public place, it’s essential to take a moment to determine the cause of your fall. If not your clumsiness tripped you up, you should talk to our team about a possible slip and fall liability claim.
Premises Liability Claims
Falls aren’t the only accident that can happen when a property owner is negligent. Inadequate building security could lead to an assault. An unsecured swimming pool could lead to a child’s drowning. An unrestrained dog could lead to a vicious attack. The property owner where one of these incidents occurred should be held accountable.
It’s important to remember that these parties carry liability insurance. Most personal injury claims involve negotiations with an insurance company, not an actual lawsuit in court. With a lawyer by your side who has 25 years of experience dealing with insurance companies, you can rest assured that your interests will be represented assertively and skillfully.
Importance of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer in Florida
Navigating the legal process independently after an accident can be overwhelming and time-consuming. This is why hiring a personal injury lawyer who can guide you through the process and fight for your rights is crucial. Here are some key reasons why hiring a personal injury lawyer in Tampa is essential:
- Legal Expertise: Personal injury lawyers have extensive knowledge of personal injury law and understand the intricacies of the legal system. They will ensure your case is handled correctly and complies with local laws.
- Case Evaluation: A personal injury lawyer will evaluate the merits of your case and determine if you have a valid claim. They will assess the evidence, gather witness statements, and consult with experts if necessary. This evaluation is crucial in determining the strength of your case and the potential for compensation.
- Experience with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, as they often try to minimize payouts. A personal injury lawyer will handle all communication with insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring your rights are protected and you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Negotiation Skills: Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and will strive to reach a fair settlement with the responsible party or their insurance company. They will advocate for your best interests and fight for the maximum compensation.
- Court Representation: A personal injury lawyer will be prepared to take your case to court if a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation. They will present your case to a judge and jury and fight for a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Have You Been Injured Due To The Negligence Of Others? Williams Law, P.A. Is Here To Help.
If you or a loved one has been physically injured due to someone else's neglect, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Florida law office at 800.451.6786 to schedule your free consultation. We help Florida residents like you who have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, slip and fall, or other accident resulting in an injury. Remember, we work on a contingent basis, meaning you don't pay us anything until we win your case.