Understanding more about Florida’s car insurance requirements

Whether for work, school or simply a change of scenery, when a person makes the momentous decision to move to Florida, there is a host of things that they will need to get done prior to leaving and, of course, after they arrive.

Indeed, one of the first orders of business to complete after their arrival in the Sunshine State will be to register their automobile and obtain a new license plate. In order to do this, however, they will need to be able to provide proof that they have secured a minimum of $10,000 in what is known as personal injury protection insurance.

For those unfamiliar with personal injury protection — or PIP — insurance, it is designed to provide you with coverage regardless of whether you or someone else is to blame for a motor vehicle accident. It’s primary purpose is essentially to preserve judicial resources by reducing the need for accident victims to go to court to seek reimbursement for damages.

In general, PIP, which is also referred to as no-fault insurance, covers not just you, the policyholder, but also the relatives with whom you share a home (spouse, child, etc.), those who operate your vehicle with your permission and certain passengers who do not possess their own vehicles.

Furthermore, your PIP coverage would also extend to pedestrian accidents, bicycle accidents, school bus accidents involving your children and accidents in which you were riding as a passenger in a vehicle owned by another.

As for what exactly PIP pays in the event of an accident, it’s $5,000 for death benefits, 60 percent of any lost wages incurred and 80 percent of reasonable medical expenses.

In our next few posts, we’ll discuss how Florida law also requires car owners to secure something known as property damage liability insurance and why some state lawmakers are now calling for the elimination of PIP altogether.

If your automobile insurer is failing to live up to its obligations as set forth in the terms of your policy, please consider speaking with an experienced legal professional to learn more about your options.